Visiting Research Students

If you are currently studying in other institutions and wish to do research study at HKUST(GZ) for a short period of time (one to six months), you may consider applying for enrolment as a Visiting Research Student. Besides gaining valuable research experience in a new environment, you may also enjoy a rewarding cultural exchange experience in Guangzhou, China.

Before you decide to apply, you are invited to browse the research output of our scholars:

Research Areas @ HKUST(GZ)


To be eligible for Visiting Research Study at HKUST(GZ), you should:

  • currently be a registered student at a recognized tertiary institution*
  • have an educational background deemed satisfactory by the Hub & Thrust as a Visiting Research Student; and
  • have gained agreement in advance from your home institution

*International students shall observe and abide by the corresponding China student visa regulations.

Application Procedures

  • Step 1
  • Step 2
    • Chinese students: submit an online application at least 2 months prior to the commencement date
    • International students: submit an online application at least 4 months prior to the commencement date
  • Step 3
    • After getting an offer:
      • Accept offer via the Online Admission System and
      • Send the Official transcript and/or testimonial issued from Central Unit (e.g. Registry) in hard copy to us (photocopy is unacceptable) Learn more
  • Step 4
    • Apply for student visa at the local Chinese embassy/consulate (for international students)
  • Step 5
    • Register as a Visiting Research Student at HKUST(GZ) enrolling in a 1-credit project course


  • Application fee: RMB 250 per application
  • Tuition fee: RMB 1500 for the 1-credit project course

Student Visa/Travel Permit

All international students are required to enter China with the appropriate student visa. Considering the time needed for the international travel arrangement e.g. visa application, early application is highly recommended.

Students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan regions are required to enter China’s mainland with Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macau Residents and Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents, respectively.

Financial Assistance

Visiting Research Students are in general expected to have adequate financial means to support themselves. Allowance may be provided up to RMB 8000 per month (before tax), subject to the agreement of supervisor and the availability of funds.


Priority for university housing is given to the regular students. As such, please be prepared that you may have to arrange your own off-campus accommodation.